Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Journal Nine by Tim McGuire

 Timothy McGuire 

 English 1109 @ 1:30, M-W

 12/02/2020

Journal Nine by Tim McGuire

     The passage I will never forget is “NBA Referee Marat Kogut, 31, Talks with His Dad, Leon Kogut, 63.” In this short story, Marat will tell us how he came to his passion of being a NBA referee. During his calling at a younger age, his dad always supported him throughout the progress. His mom wasn’t too thrilled with the idea of being a referee because no women would want to marry him. So, Marat mentions this to his father, “How many lawyers do you have in this country, Dad?” I said, “Maybe three, four million?” “How many doctors do we have in this country?” I said, “About six, seven million doctors?” And then you asked, “And how many NBA referees are there in this country?” I said, “I don’t know.” You told me, “It’s about sixty. And I’m going to be one of them.” (Isay 28-29). This is just a powerful quote and great life advice. He doesn’t want to follow what everyone else is doing in life, he wants to take the road less taken. Even if someone doesn’t agree with your choice, follow your dreams. 

     In my opinion, I thought Michael’s presentation was one of the better ones. I enjoyed how he put many pictures throughout his PowerPoint. It kept my attention the whole PowerPoint. I, also, liked how there was barely any words on his PowerPoint. He was able to talk through each slide without needing to look on the PowerPoint. My second favorite was Pietro’s presentation. I liked how he put their stories into the PowerPoint. I could also relate to this one in a way. I don’t really believe in going and taking your cars into shops. I believe they just charge you more than you need to be charged but that is my opinion. So, I end up doing all the work on my car when it needs it. 

This picture is pretty powerful and can relate to my first paragraph. It is someone picking their path for their life. Will he pick his own path or go the way everyone does?



2 comments:

  1. Hello Timmy, I like that you picked the NBA Referee. When we were still reading the book I remember having to read that chapter and talking with you about which one you enjoy. That one was brought up a lot by you so it's cool to see that you decided that would be the one you would like to remember. I personally didn't like it a lot but its a job that very few people go for. It's a great chapter to show that you can be whatever you want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim your picture reminds me of the Robert Frost poem!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.