Pietro Pozzi
English 1109 @1:30-3:30 M-W
Journal Nine
The profile that I could relate the most and that stuck me the most in Callings is Farmer Johnny Bradley. This profile talks what Johnny’s dad taught him about perseverance and not giving up even in the worst situations. Johnny, thanks to what his father taught him, he was able to pass some crisis in his life and still be successful. He says there is one sentence that his father always used to repeat to him: “Son, you can’t whip a man that don’ quit” (Isay, 91). When I read this sentence, I remember pausing for a minute and thinking of all the times I wanted to quit doing something that would just require a substantial amount of effort, more than expected, but most of the times I have always told myself; you can’t quit, keep going forward, you need to finish this. This sentence that johnny’s father would say perfectly fits what I tell myself when I want to quit from doing something, but it is worded in a much better way. So, after I read this story, I wrote this sentence on a piece of paper and put it on my desk. Now, whenever I am thinking about giving up on something, I read that sentence and I remember how Johnny did not give up, when his farm was in a crisis and he was about to lose everything, and if he made it, that means I can make it too.
I think the two presentations that were most effective to me were David and Tim’s one and Michael’s one. What I liked about David and Tim’s presentation is that Tim was presenting the description of the job part and David was presenting what his experience co-workers said about the job. I liked how the presentation was divided and organized, it was really easy to follow and enjoyable to listen to. It was interesting to see how few pharmacists in the country there are and how narrow this job is. The other presentation that affected me the most was Michael’s, he talked about weapons engineering. I really liked the animated imagine of the piston in his presentation, and what he pointed out to us about that in engineering you could get the same result with something with three pieces rather than ten, it just depends what the customer wants and what the weapon is used for. From this presentation I learned that there are different ways to become a weapon engineer, for example you could become one from just getting a degree in mechanical engineering or from being in the army.
Hello Pietro, I find it interesting the reason you picked the chapter was because of a single quote. It wasn't the story as a whole but the will to always push on. That itself is very inspirational and defiantly something that we all need to remember to do. Also thank you for the kind words about my presentation, it means a lot that at least one person found it interesting.
ReplyDeleteHello, Pietro! I find it interesting that you decided to right down the quote. I think its very neat that you use it for motivation and can relate to this story like that. When I’m in a tough and wanting to quit something, I always think I want to achieve my goals and that’s my motivation. Secondly, thank you for liking our presentation.
ReplyDeleteHi Pierrot, that’s awesome that you wrote down that quote. I never really thought about it until you pointed it out. It definitely is good advice to live by.
ReplyDeleteThis was a chapter that also stuck out to me, the quote that I liked from it was "If a man knocks you down and you can't get up, bite him on the leg"(Bradley 92). This story really shows how successful a fighting spirit is.
ReplyDelete