Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Research Response Exercise - David

 David Miller

English 1109.01   Mon, Wen

11/18/2020


Research Response Exercise

Today I am going to be explaining the story of Burnell Cotlon. This is a story about Burnell and how he went through the pain of losing everything to hurricane Katrina. It really does express that thought when he says, “When I finally got down there, I saw my house. It had floated from the foundation into the street” (Isay 149). This happened to countless other people as well, and businesses started shutting down. One day he decided he would start up a grocery store to help bring business back to his home. The first place he got was a dump, and everyone said he would fail. By the end of the chapter we see why he enjoys his job so much. He can help a city that has been devastated and the people in it.


    While I was doing research on this chapter two questions came to mind. What is the store name, and how is it doing today? What I did to figure this out was I went to their website by looking up Burnell’s name. Doing that I found out the name of the store is Burnell’s Lower 9th Ward Market. I also went to find out to see if they were still running. To my surprise they are, and the website describes how, “Lifelong residents of the Lower 9th Ward, the Cotlons have invested their life's savings into providing food access to the Lower 9th Ward” (Burnell’s Website). He put everything he could into making this business into what it is. To this day it’s  still open and going strong.

This is an example of the devastation of hurricane Katrina

3 comments:

  1. Hey David, it’s great to see that his store is doing so good. Did you find out if he opened any other stores?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, David! I also did my research over this story. I found out during the pandemic he was letting me get groceries still and paying him back later. I find this really awesome since he is trusting them to come back and paying him the money that is owed. I could see this story influence many more people in small towns to start their own business.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I also went over this story but I covered a different portion of it. It cool to see that not only was he able to open his store but also keep it going after thing got back to normal.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.