Isaac Swert
Professor Lohre
English 1109 at 01:30, T-Th
3rd December, 2020
Journal Number 9
Callings is full of so many great profiles, and they have the ability to be so different from each other. From doctors to beer vendors, each job has something unique and unforgettable the reader can take away from the text. The Callings profile that I never want to forget is about Beekeeper Ted Dennard. This profile was inspiring to me because Ted took his hobby, something he loves and is very passionate about, and he made a career out of it. Another inspiring aspect of this profile was that he had so many people doubt him and he goes on to say “You know, my brother is famous for saying, “You can never make beekeeping work as a business ``''(Isay 189).. But, Ted worked hard and found out how to sell honey and earn a living. I never want to forget this profile because I want to be in a position like Ted where my career is something related to my hobbies.
During the presentations this week, we looked at a lot of different careers. There were so many good and interesting ones too. On Monday, I thought David and Tim's presentation was the most effective. They had a good amount of background information for a good exposition and they had unique primary sources that we would not be able to have access to without their interviews. The use of primary and secondary sources allowed for the presentation to be effective and unique. For Wednesday, I thought the most effective presentation was Michaels. This is because he broke his presentation down into the two fields that combine to make the field of weapons engineer. He looked at why people became engineers and why people went into the military. I thought this technique allowed for the most accurate reasons people became weapon engineers. Also, Michael had interest in going into this field and that allowed him to use himself as an example.
![]() |
| Simple hobbies, like Beekeeping, are things that can help us find careers that we will enjoy for the rest of our lives. |

Hello, Isaac! I enjoyed that chapter as well. I found it very interesting how he kept with it, even when his brother doubted him. Then eventually it grew and he was able to start selling his own honey. Secondly, thank you for liking our presentation.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed the beekeeping profile too! It was very interesting to hear the perspective from a beekeeper. I loved hearing how he got over his fear of being stung by bee's. I could never.
ReplyDelete