Timothy McGuire
English 1109 @ 1:30, M-W
11/06/2020
Journal Eight
I’m going to compare and contrast two stories from the book, Callings by David Isay. The two stories are “Funeral director Don Byles, 65, talks with his daughter and protégée, Mackenzie Byles, 25”, and “Actor Ricardo Pitts-Wiley, 53, talks to his son, Jonathan Pitts-Wiley, 22”. The comparison for these stories are the two great dads. The both of these dads are very proud of their children for what they have done so far. Also, in these stories both of them followed their father’s footsteps. Mackenzie is going to take over as the funeral director after her dad. Don mentions, “I’m positive you won’t let me down. They’ll be talking about you before too much longer.” (Isay 63). He’s stating that he is very confident in her to carry on the family business. While Ricardo was talking to his son he said, “And I’m so proud of you.” (Isay 96). Ricardo is just a very proud father of his son and his decisions in life.
The most important contrast is between the dads. Ricardo had to stop his calling to take care of his family but Don was able to continue his. This isn’t shaming, Don, saying that he is a bad dad. Don was still an amazing dad and able to follow, his passion still. Ricardo had to make a harder decision to either be a dad or continue his calling. Jonathan Pitts-Wiley mentions, “Well, I say this with bias, clearly, but you’re a fine actor, and I think you would’ve done well. But instead, you made a decision to be a dad. (Isay 96). I just admire Ricardo for making the decision to be a dad. He paused his dream career to raise his sons and provide for his family.
I can relate to the funeral director story in a way. Mackenzie mentioned that she would go to work with her dad and work there as a summer job. ( Isay 61). This reminds me when I was younger. I would go to work with my mom and watch her type of this stuff into the computer and watch her fill out paperwork. Then when I was older, I would work for her during the summer to make a little cash here and there.
![]() |
| This reminds me when I would watch my mom work. |

Tim, shucks, I can't see the picture. Can you try to repost it? Thanks much!
ReplyDeleteYep, I think I got it figured out now. Thank you.
DeleteTim, I can relate to you similarity to the book. When I was young my mom used to bring me along to adoption events. Now, I do not participate in these as much as I did, but I can agree relate to your reflection of the work when you grew up.
ReplyDelete