Friday, November 6, 2020

Journal eight from Pietro

 Pietro Pozzi

English 1109 @ 1:30-3:30 M-W

11/06/2020

Journal Eight 

The two stories that I am going to contrast, and compare are dr. Larry’s story and scientist Dr. Dorothy's story. Both the protagonists of those stories end up being doctors, however, we can see that scientist Dr. Dorothy was not supported by her family, particularly, by her father as she stated: “My father didn’t really have much expectation that, as a girl, it would ever lead to anything” (Isay, 43), but Dr. Larry and his daughter Dr. Laura were supported by their fathers.  

Dr. Dorothy, since her father and her family did not fully support and saw what she was capable of, she did not really believe in herself. When she started, she just thought she would become a doctor helper she never thought she would accomplish anything more for herself, as she said: “I never quite imagined achieving what I’ve achieved” (Isay, 47), this is because her family never believed and encouraged her. On the other hand, Dr. Larry, thanks to his father which unconsciously he showed him the way; being supportive and encourage him, he was decided around fourteen years old that he wanted to be a physician and a surgeon. This showed me how important having someone that supports you in life is. Dr. Dorothy achieved a lot in his life, but she also lost a lot of years in her career because she didn’t even believe in herself. 

In my opinion, family support is super important, particularly when someone is still growing up having a person that encourages you during the down moments is essential. In my life there have been countless moments where my family helped me get through something, but I think the most important ones were all the problems that came durig my first year in the USA. I consider myself lucky because my family has always supported me and still now, they encourage me when I need it and they always guide me in the right direction. So, out of the two stories I can relate the most from the Michaelis family. Because when I was young, and still now sometimes, my dad brings me to his job and shows me around the factory. 

 

This picture reminds me of how me and my father were in some moments when I was younger. 


3 comments:

  1. Family support is huge throughout life. My dad was Around that that much until I was about 10, he had a traveling job.I ended relying on my mom for a lot of things. When my dad was around though he was supportive, when I said that I wanted to be a engineer he said that i can do it, but it would be hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations brothers in coming to America if you ever need anything just let me know. Family can be a huge support and those of us that are blessed to have that support systems are blessed enough to get the guidance we need especially in our dark times.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.