Isaac Swert
Professor Lohre
English 1109 at 01:30, T-Th
18th November, 2020
Bee Yard Research
The Callings profile that I decided to do the research exercise on was Beekeeper, Ted Dennard, in the philosopher's section. There were a lot of things that made this profile interesting to me. I thought it was interesting how Ted found his calling because of where his parents decided to live. It was the specific house they bought to put them close to Ted's mentor, Roy Hightower, and the yard with the house was perfect for beekeeping. Another thing that made him addicted to this passion was the adrenaline rush he received doing it, Ted even says “It's like rock climbing, or surfing: you don’t think about anything else.” (Isay 188). Teds love for this adrenaline rush had him turn something he loved into his career selling honey.
There are a couple questions I had when I read this profile; How many different types of honey are there? What is a gallberry and a palmettos? And How many bees do beekeepers have to successfully make enough honey to sell? But, the question I chose to research was “What makes a good bee yard? I chose this one because it is very lightly mentioned in the text and it is one important factor of how Ted became a beekeeper. From my research, I have found that there are so many factors when it comes to making and choosing a bee yard; Each be yard must be 5km apart, the hives must be placed in as “S” shape, soil conditions, and even seed selection. I think the article sums up about finding a good bee yard location by saying, “Finding optimal bee yard locations can be difficult, especially if there are many beekeepers in the area”(McCallum and Menzies 1). All of the factors just show how unlikely it is to just create a bee yard anywhere and shows that Ted's original house was a big factor for him becoming a beekeeper.
![]() |
| This is a picture of a big bee yard. They even color their hives the same color as bright flowers. |

Hello, Isaac! I, also enjoyed this story and it made me have some questions. I’m glad he continued doing the bee farm. Then eventually it grew and he started selling honey to stores. It seems like it was just meant to be for him. One of my questions were, how much honey does his bees produce?
ReplyDeleteHey, Isaac good question. I can’t believe each bee yard has to be for 5km apart. I also had no ideas that every little thing including the soil effected the honey. Great Reserch!
ReplyDeleteI was really interested in this profile, it gives a bee keepers perspective on it. I am personally terrified of bee's, but I love his passion and him explaining how he has the confidence to go near the bee's with no protection. I could never!
ReplyDelete