Wednesday, September 23, 2020

House on Mango Street Writing Exercise Alayna

 Alayna Bowman

English 1109 at 1:30, Mon- Wed

23 September 2020

 

               The House on Mango Street Writing Exercise

Based off of what I have read so far in The House on Mango Street, by Sandra Cisneros, I can relate most to the chapter called Hips. This is the chapter where Esperanza and her friends discuss the topic of hips and why and how they believe hips form. They make up creative stories and it is just a fun chapter. One of my favorite quotes from this chapter is, “ You gotta be able to know what to do with your hips when you get them, I say making it up as I go. You gotta know how to walk with hips and practice you know” (Cisneros 50). This quote shows that they don’t really know much about growing up and they think you need to practice to do so. 

 I can relate to this chapter the most because when I was younger, I was also curious about how bodies grow and I was always ask my friends or cousins about it because they were all older than me and knew more than I did. Sometimes they wouldn’t always know the answers so they would make up creative stories and I believed them. 


This is not an exact image of the necklace that my dad gave me but my necklace is very important to me because my dad gave it to me and it’s one of the couple things that I have from him. He passed away a couple years ago so it keeps me connected to him. This item could not be traded for anything. 



 

2 comments:

  1. Hey Alayna, I also had my older family members make up creative stories to answer questions they didn't even know the answer too. I liked this chapter too, it is very fun and entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alayna, I like how you were intrigued about the biology of the human body. I can make a connection to your story as well. "Sometimes they wouldn’t always know the answers so they would make up creative stories and I believed them." I believed what I was told as well, and I wish some of the things I was told were true. What things did you used to believe?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.