Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Journal Three Stephanie Niggemeyer

 Active reading is going pretty good, I have the book online and connected to my personal iPad so I can technically still write in the book just electronically. One downside to the active reading I’m having is I’ll start writing something in the margin then forget where I was and then end up reading the same paragraph or sentence multiple times.

I feel like I do better with shorter books because I don’t get an anxiety from having to finish a longer book. It makes me feel more accomplished to have a shorter book because I’m personally a slow reader so it takes longer for me to complete reading assignments so when I’m almost done with a book I get super pumped. One weakness I’m having so far is the One and Done book, I’m more into cars and understanding that than sports. So the terminology of sports get to me a little causing me to honestly have to look up stuff. 

A question I had while reading One and Done thus far is, he had so much going for him and had a possible future, why would he join and do violence and break the law to destroy what he had created for himself since high school? In chapter 5, Clarett talked about how he broke his thumb but instead of sitting out he just continued playing. This is showing how athletes basically destroy their bodies just to make sure they play and don’t care to fix themselves rather than healing. This just amazes me because the amount of pain that would be but instead just wrapping it up and then going back out and hitting more. He even states that his broken thumb made it harder to catch during the game. Also in chapter 5, this kinda goes back to my question, but he was explaining how he got his team to have such a good win streak and everything. And again, he ruined all that hard work and dedication he put into football and being the best to create these wining streaks.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.