Judson Brandenburg
English 1109 at 1:30, Mon-Wed
09/13/2020
Journal Three: Strengths and Weaknesses
A few strengths that Sandra Cisneros has in her writings is how descriptive she is when she describes things. It gives the reader a visual image of what she is talking about which really draws you into the book. At some points in the book I have become confused because she goes all over the place and talks about things that are unrelated to what she previously talked about. I am starting to see more of a theme in her writing as the book progresses. Maurice Clarett does an amazing job at being very honest with the reader which makes you feel like he is sitting next to you telling you the story. I’ve noticed that his priorities change along with him as a person. I have not personally noticed any weaknesses other than a few grammatical errors, what I’ve read so far has been great and I’m excited to read more. I prefer Maurice Clarett’s book because it has more life examples and shows that someone can come from nothing.
Why did Maurice Clarett get
involved with the people he did when he had such a great future? What really
stuck out to me in Chapter Four was how determined he was to get better at the
game of football. It showed his tenacity to the game of football, spending
hours watching film and constantly working out. My favorite line was at the end
of Chapter Four when he was talking about how he could visualize his success,
it showed that he was confident in his skills as a football player.
Hello, Judson. I highlighted the last part of chapter 4, I also really liked that part. I liked how Clarett said,"I was going to succeed." That just shows you how determined he is towards football.
ReplyDeleteIt was such a great line, thanks for sharing!
DeleteI also struggle to find the themes in some stories. I over think a lot of the time because sometimes the themes are to simple.
ReplyDeleteI did not think of it that way but that makes a lot of sense as well, good point!
DeleteI have also never really took the time to try to actively read and also struggle to find themes. I also prefer to read Maurice clarett's book as well.
ReplyDeleteActively reading is new for a lot of us so I think it is good that we are starting off with these two books cause they are both good reads.
ReplyDeleteI also really like Maurice Clarett's honesty too, it really shows how much he has grown.
ReplyDeleteYes, because he is honest with the reader it feels genuine. I also think that he has done a good job at showing how much he has grown over time.
Delete