Journal Two
Hello, my name is Isaac Swert. I’m from Sunbury, Ohio and I am majoring in Biology. I have four siblings and three dogs. My hopes for the future are to become a dentist and then either buy into a dental practice or open my own in Ohio. A fun fact about me is that for my first job I was a head cashier for a Banana Republic Factory Store at the Tanger Outlets in Sunbury, Ohio. I became the head cashier because in the two years I worked there, I convinced roughly five hundred people to open our store card. In my prime I was number 32 out of the 3.5 million people employed by the store for credit cards sales.
The theme that has stood out to me so far in The House On Mango Street is “the odds are stacked against you”. I feel like this will become an important theme because Esperanza mentioned a couple times about how she was born into a life of sadness because she was named after her great grandmother. I have seen this theme in many of my own experiences throughout my life. From getting injured playing multiple different sports and feeling like maybe I’m just not athletic to failing tests and thinking I’m just dumb. Those feelings in life are extra hard on you because the family you were born into or the skills you were born without are factors that we can’t control and can seem to hold us back. My favorite passage from the first section is the last passage when Esperanza says “I would like to baptize myself under a new name, a name more like the real me, the one nobody sees. Esperanza as Lisandra or Maritza or Zeze the X. Yes. Something like Zeze the X will do”. This is my favorite passage because I feel like it goes along with the theme and how she feels the odds are stacked against her so much that she wants to be another person all together.
Congrats on the credit card sales brother. Also I like your thoughts on the read so far. We all struggle or feel at lost at times and I like that you put up some truth on your post. It is true and great on how you mention what Esperanza wanted to change her name to be a new person, I can feel that feeling at times.
ReplyDeleteHey. Issac, Isac, Isaac, or Izak. Your post was very informative, but the burning question in my head the whole time was, "Why do you want to be a dentist? & How open are you to looking at different medical fileds as of right now?" Also, braces, or Invisalign?
ReplyDeleteIsaac, and I'm very set on being a dentist because oral hygiene is very important to me and that is more of an orthodontist question.
DeleteVery cool I think dentistry is a very lucrative profession. I can’t imagine convincing five hundred people to sign up for a credit card. I can also related to feeling like your not athletic enough or smart enough. I also agree that one of the main themes of The House On Mango Street are that the odds are stacked against her.
ReplyDelete