David Miller
Mike Lohre
English 1109, Mon, Wen
09/23/2020
The House On Mango Street
Within the book, The House On Mango Street, one of these chapters reminded me of my past. That chapter is My First Job. This chapter goes into detail about how Esperanza got her first job. She starts off by letting us know that she has been looking for a job but hasn’t been successful. Later her aunt helps her get a job with her, and so she gets her first job at Pan Photo Finishers. She talks about how it is working there and states, “It was real easy, and I guess I wouldn’t mind it except that you got tired after a while”, (Cisneros 54) Beyond that she also doesn’t feel extremely comfortable at work yet, but who isn’t on their first job. I relate so well to this story, I remember trying to get a job for the first time. Like Esperanza I had help from a family member to get one, and I remember feeling out of place, and not knowing norms of the workplace. I believe everyone feels that way in the beginning, which is why I love this chapter so much.
| This is a Bible I got from church camp at Round Lake. Only one person gets one of these every year. |
I like that you picked this chapter, reading it I could relate to this chapter a lot too, and probably like everyone else's who experienced a first day at a job. My first job was by a family friend for painting a barn and even if I got it through family friends the first day is usually uncomfortable and it feels like you are an outsider.
ReplyDeleteI agree with feeling weird starting the first job. I remember mine I was nervous but excited at the same time. I also had help with my family finding that job.
ReplyDeleteSo you said only one person gets one bible a year, How is that person chosen?
ReplyDelete