Sunday, September 13, 2020

Journal Three by Timothy McGuire

 Timothy McGuire

 English 1109 @ 1:30, M-W

 9/13/2020

Journal Three by Timothy McGuire

     Active reading for me is going well. I find it helpful when highlighting the characters and interesting points in the book because it helps me remember when certain  characters are introduced and when certain events happen. I find the easy part of active reading is adding notes the margin, highlighting charterers, noting the setting in the margin, and making connections to the book. The hard part for me is highlighting key parts in the chapters and coming up with questions for each chapter. I feel like I’m either highlighting to many things or not even things. 

     Both books are very interesting to me but the one I prefer is One and Done. I like how this book is straight to the point and tells the honest truth. I find it more interesting to read because of all the detail Clarett put in the book. It makes me want to keep reading to find out what’s going to happen next. The House on Mango Street is also a great book. I find it much harder to follow along because every chapter is different. It just takes me a little longer to find out what’s going on in each chapter since almost every chapter has a different theme or message for the reader.

     One question I would ask Clarett is, if he could go back in the future would he just stay at OSU for another year to avoid all the trouble he went through? I find chapter four pretty important. It is when Clarett gets his first offer after attending a four day camp. Then later on in the chapter Notre Dame offers him and he verbally agrees to it but then Coach leaves so he withdrew his verbal agreement. That made him realize if these schools will offer him, other schools will offer him. So that’s when he decided to focus just on football to get a scholarship from Ohio State.

6 comments:

  1. I find it interesting that you find it hard to figure out questions for the books. I also have the same problem. I feel like in One and Done specifically it's hard to do that because he is so real with everything he says, you don't have to guess on how he feels on whats happening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also find it helpful to highlight the characters as well, helps me to remember their names. What has been your favorite chapter so far and why?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say chapter 7 because I like how he just keeps working to becoming the starter. Like he just keeps grinding instead of just accepting that he is the fourth string.

      Delete
    2. That was also one of my favorite chapters because he did not want to settle for less. Great life lesson that I was able to pull away from it.

      Delete
  3. Hey Timmy, glad to see you are enjoying both books. The deciding factor between choosing which book was my favorite was how authentic it is too. Since it is based off of a true story it, in whatever way makes you more submerged into the book as a reader. I agree with your other reasoning for Cisnero too. Now, do you think over time, as you get more comfortable with understanding the themes of each story in Cisnero, and are able to make better connections with the book, would you reconsider what book is your favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would definitely think about it. I'm just a huge fan with Clarett and how straight forward he is and the details he adds in each chapter.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.