Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Mango Street-- and You, Too by Isaac Swert

 Isaac Swert

Professor Lohre

English 1109 at 1:30-3:30pm, T-Th

23th September, 2020


Mango Street-- and You, Too

The House On Mango Street has had many good chapters with many different relatable themes. The chapter I related most to, so far, is Darius & the Clouds. In this chapter the quiet boy at school, who everyone assumes is ignorant, made a comment on how a cloud is God as he is gazing up at the sky. This is a big deal because everyone assumed he was stupid and shallow minded and not capable of such a deep thought. The main character also states “Here there is too much sadness and not enough sky”(Cisneros 33). Looking up at the clouds and daydreaming of what they actually kind of look like allows for endless happiness. This shows that Darius has a much deeper understanding of life because he gazes at the sky dreaming of a brighter future. 

I related to Darius in this chapter because all throughout my schooling career, I was the quiet kid people just assumed things about. I just preferred to keep to my close group of friends and chase my dreams of getting through school and becoming a dentist. In many of my classes I would stare off in many of my classes planning what I needed to do to get myself closer to my dream job. Whether it was prepping for the ACT, applying to college, or just studying extra hard. I was always daydreaming about the day I would reach my lifelong goal. 

This pocket watch is one of my most prized possessions because my siblings worked together to buy it for me for my birthday. When I told them I wanted a pocket watch one day, I never expected them to buy me one because they made fun of the idea. Also we have never had a super close relationship, so the fact that they went through so much trouble for me spoke volumes.
This pocket watch is one of my most prized possessions because my siblings worked together to buy it for me for my birthday. When I told them I wanted a pocket watch one day, I never expected them to buy me one because they made fun of the idea. Also we have never had a super close relationship, so the fact that they went through so much trouble for me spoke volumes.







Works Cited

Cisneros, Sandra. The House on Mango Street. Vintage Books, a Division of Random House Inc., 1991.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Isaac, I thought this was a very well written post. You made a good connection when you said "Darius has a much deeper understanding of life because he gazes at the sky dreaming of a brighter future." That pocket watch looks awesome, that's nice your siblings all pitched in to get you it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isaac, I can relate to you writing pretty well. I liked the part when you stated, "I related to Darius in this chapter because all throughout my schooling career, I was the quiet kid people just assumed things about. I just preferred to keep to my close group of friends and chase my dreams of getting through school and becoming a dentist." Although some could argue it is beneficial to get out of your comfort zone and develop social skills, even though you think it is dumb. I feel like you're doing it for yourself on so many different levels, and it's a challenge. Who doesn't like a good challenge? Anyways, I can relate to your dream mentality. I would give up everything right now to truly pursue it if I was in the right position. P.S. Its better to have 1 good friend then 10 .

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In middle school I kept to a small group of friends but when I moved to Ohio and enter high school I was able to meet more people that I could get along with. Pocket watches aren't a common thing to want anymore, what made you want one?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Isaac, Growing up I also was very quit and not outgoing compared to other kids in my class. I think as people we only really look at people’s surface level intellect and never look very much beyond that.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.