Wednesday, September 23, 2020

 Zach Sudal

Professor Lohre

English

09/23/20

House on Mango Street 

So far, the chapter that stuck out the most to me was, “There was an Old Woman She Had So Many Children She Didn’t Know What to Do.” In this chapter, we were introduced to a character, Rosa Vargas. Rosa Vargas is, you guessed it, an old woman with a lot of kids. With kids, comes craziness too. Esperanza explained it as, “The kids bend trees and bounce between cars and dangle upside down from knees and almost break like fancy museum vases you can’t replace” (29). Esperanza ends with demonstrating self respect to the reader. I chose this chapter because in my family, we have a tradition to watch “A Christmas Story” every christmas. It's what my dad watched with his parents, so its a generational thing. Whenever we get the chance, we watch it with my grandparents. 

This is one of many things I own that has value way beyond money. Not only the uniform is sentimental to me, but also the memories and experiences. I was very fortunate to have a stacked troop with a lot of laid back people, and friends. The amount of fun I had over the years is irreplaceable, and yet to be topped, if that. I am thankful that I had the chance to join at a young age to go on many campouts with friends and good people to make countless great stories and memories.


2 comments:

  1. I found your family tradition very interesting and I bet it is a lot of fun watching those Christmas stories. This reminded me of my family tradition on Christmas which is eating lasagna at lunch. it might sound weird because lasagnas aren't even a Christmas food but for some reason my family has always ate them at Christmas and I genuinely love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my family we also have a tradition to watch a movie the night before Christmas but the movie that we normal watch is "Die Hard". When I was in scouts I made a lot of memories and friends as well so I can understand why your uniform has sentimental value.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.