Monday, September 14, 2020

Journal Three Alayna

 Alayna Bowman

English 1109 at 1:30, Mon-Wed

9/13/2020 


                                  Journal Three

        My active reading has been going well. This is my first time actually active reading, I struggled with it in high school because I never understood what to annotate for or how to have a conversation with a book. I am good with marking plots and important parts in the text. I sometimes tend to struggle with making connections with stories but I usually am able to find something to connect to. 

       In my view, my strengths for The House on Mango Street are plotting important points and making connections. My weaknesses are understanding some of the materials real meaning and finding themes. My strengths for One and Done are finding themes and marking plot points. My weakness is making connections because of our different lifestyle and different interests. I prefer to read One and Done because it is more of a clear read and I enjoy being able to understand it right away instead of trying to find the true meanings. 

        My question is from chapter six, page 63 when Maurice decided to sit out of his all star game because the coaches were being unfair to one of his teammates. Would Maurice do the same thing in that situation if he wasn’t already accepted into Ohio State? I noticed in chapter five especially toward the end that Maurice had a lot of regret about some of the things he said and done in the past and a lot he still hasn’t been able to apologize for and that can be very tough on a person. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Alayna, I also have a hard time finding the themes in Cisneros' book. I thought that you had a very good question and it would be interesting to see how he responds to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Alayna, I like how you italicized the name of the one and done book. I'm pretty sure I did not do that. I can relate with your weakness because my old English teachers never taught me how to in-depth do that. I was wondering how you could possibly improve your weakness of struggling to annotate or have a conversation with the book

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.