Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Writing Exercise “The House on Mango Street”- Stephanie Niggemeyer

In all honesty, chapter 1 “The House on Mango Street” has been the most connective to me throughout this book. She was describing her life before and how her dream how would look and I just connected to it so perfectly. I lived in not so nice up kept homes too renting and not owning. In the middle of the chapter she described her dream home and how she wanted it minimalistic but nice. “And our house would have running water and pipes that worked. And inside it would have real stairs, into hallway stairs, but stairs inside like the houses on TV. And we’d have a basement and at least three washrooms so when we took a bath we wouldn’t have to tell everybody. Our house would be white with trees around it, a great big yard and grass growing without a fence” (Cisneros 4). Obviously, she had it way worse of living than me. But I do have some of the same dreams, a two story house (never lived in one), a great big yard and a basement. Then of course to own a house and not rent would be just a dream. We’ve rented my whole life and living where I did for the past three houses was embarrassing to hear people react when they found out my family rented.

My Camaro was my baby. The first true car that was fully in my name. The one thing that kept me going throughout all the stress in my life. I would just go for a drive and all my worries and stress kinda just went away while driving. I used to use driving as an escape and my Camaro was my escape from reality. It was also the only thing I owned and that I was proud of. Unfortunately I am a cursed human being where if I can get anything good to happen to me, over time something will take it away. Barely over a few month of having it in my name fully, a deer came running across a country road causing me to swerve off the road and I crashed going 55mph in a guard railing. I didn’t care much about my physical injuries and pain I was in, as much as I cared about my cars condition. These are the only things I could find from the tow junk yard that they allowed me to take which will be kept sentimental to me my whole life along with the permanent scars on my body and the happy memories I had working and building it to be more powerful.


3 comments:

  1. Stephanie, I loved your post because it has heart, and heart can't be taught. Thanks for getting up started here on the blog and setting the bar high. I have a lot I can say about things I admire and connect to in your post, but I'm going to leave room for students in the class later as we will write thoughtful Comments on each other's exercises for the weekend. All my best, and get well soon! And I don't think you are cursed; I believe you are blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see how this chapter would impact you. My parents are divorced and my mom has to rent all of the time now. I feel the same way about feeling embarrassed about the fact that one of my parents rent. But I think its important to realize you can't help that fact, now one has the right to judge you off of that. It's great that you have a goal for the future like Esperanza does for a house in the future. Hopefully sense you know what you want, you can reach that goal in life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Stephanie, I thought this was a really heart-felt post because you opened up about yourself, it's not easy to do that. Sorry about your car and I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.