David Miller
Mike Lohre
English 1109, Mon, Wen
10/06/2020
Journal 5 - David Miller
So far the poem that I like the most is The Lanyard. This one's my favorite for many reasons, firstly because it has a sense of humor. Usually I find poetry extremely boring and that's due to the fact that I don’t get interested in it easily, but this one has humor that’s impossible to miss. One of my favorite lines from this poem is when Collins writes, “I was as sure as a boy could be that this useless worthless thing I wove out of boredom would be enough to make us even” (Collins, 35-37). I love this quote because it’s not just some funny joke at the end of a poem. We’ve all had moments from back in our younger days where we don’t fully understand situations because we couldn’t wrap our heads around an idea. It gives you a sense of innocence forgotten by many. This is why The Lanyard is my favorite poem that we read.
For The House On Mango Street I felt like Red Clowns was the most traumatic/important out of all of the chapters. Within this chapter Esperanza and Sally go to a carnival and Sally leaves Esperanza to be by herself. During this time she is stripped of her innocence and is sexually abused. It makes one feel horrible just reading the chapter, especially when Esperanza says, “ I couldn’t make them go away. I couldn’t do anything but cry. I don’t remember. It was dark. I don’t remember. I don’t remember. Please don’t make me tell it again.” (Cisneros 100). This gives anyone a clear image about what is going on, even if someone doesn’t want to think about it. I personally wanted to close the book when I was reading this. It made me feel sick just reading it, it almost felt like I was there but I couldn’t do anything to help. I bet that's how Esperanza felt.
| The image above is an random one I found online, but it is a huge symbol for innocence for me. When I was younger I would play Legos with my dad. I actually felt like he wanted what I made so I would give them too him. Looking back on it I never really made anything he wanted, but he took them anyways, so it made me feel like they were valuable. I felt like the boy how made the lanyards in the poem. But not anymore. |
Hello David, I definitely agree that the Red Clowns chapter is the most traumatic. I actually used the same quote as you it holds lots of meaning and has a power message. It just shows you and gives you a sense of how much trauma she went through in that moment.
ReplyDelete