Monday, October 26, 2020

Journal 7 Cortney

Cortney Shearer

Mike Lohre

English 1109    

26 October 2020

Journal 7

     I don't know a lot of people who truly love their job. I think a lot of us can relate to having our parents come home from work all grumpy and tired. I can count on one hand how many people I've met that love their job. The one person that came to mind first was my 8th grade English teacher. That class is still my favorite class I have ever taken. He truly loved his job and you could tell. He didn't just teach us what he had to. He applied it to life and taught us about life. I've never gotten so much out of a class. I think he loves his job because he see's how he changes these kids lives and that is probably the most rewarding thing. That class was a smaller class so we all were very close by the end of the year. I would wake up excided to go to school just for that class. English has never been a class I would say is my favorite just because I'm not good at it. This teacher had a daughter our age so I think it helped him know how to get our attention. 

     I think the purpose of the introduction of Callings by Dave Isay was to get a insight to his life. A reason as to why he was writing this book. I also think it was to get his point across that these are stories of normal people. People who are just like us. He wants to encourage the readers of his book to follow their dreams and do what you truly love. Doing something you love for the rest of your life will help your happiness. 

     My favorite profile from the book Callings by David Isay is John Heyn, 56, Talks with his uncle Herman Heyn, 83, A street-corner Astronomer. I really liked Johns story because he was inspired by someone. I can relate to him as well. I relate to him because I feel like I don't hold on to content even if I study really hard. Miss Wicker was his 8th grade science teacher. John Heyn found his passion because of her. One day Miss wicker had drawn the bigger dipper on the board and told everyone to go home and find it tonight. So John did, he went home that night and found the big dipper. It was from that point on he was obsessed with astronomy. He eventually got his own telescope and brought it out on the corner for others to see. He brought a hat out so people could put tips in them and moved it closer each time and made more money every time he did. John knew he could make this his living. He wasn't making much but because it was what he loved he enjoyed it so that didn't matter. I liked that he hoped he would make an impact on someone's life just like Miss Wicker did for him. John Heyn said " Over the years, I've been hoping that somebody would come along and say, I've got my degree in science or I got my PhD in astronomy having have first looked through your telescope. but it hasn't happened yet." (Isay 16). That just shows he wants to have an impacted on others.  

     I chose this image because John is waiting for his full circle moment. Miss Wicker knew she had an impacted on John Heyn's life because he got to tell her before she passed away. I think a lot of us can be hopeful of this. I know I hope I make positive impacts on peoples lives. I don't think I've had a full circle moment yet but I hope one day I do. 

2 comments:

  1. I believe that a lot of people can relate to that story in the same way that you have, or at least I hope so.It would have a big impact on anyone's life to have that kinda person in it. Its great that he was influenced to astronomy by her even if he could fully unitize it in till later in life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a hard time trying to find someone you truly loves their job and what they do. I feel like a lot of people just settle for whatever job that pays the bills.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.