Monday, October 26, 2020

Journal Seven by Tim McGuire

 

 Timothy McGuire

 English 1109 @ 1:30, M-W

      10/26/2020

Journal Seven: Callings 1st Connections

      The person I know with the most passion about their job is my mother. My mom owns her own business which is called McGuire's Transportation. She brokers freight to truck drives which pretty much means, she finds them stuff to haul. She started this business when I was around 2 years old and it has only grown since. My mom wakes up at 5 am everyday and works until 6 pm. Sometimes my mom will work later into the night depending if, she has more paperwork to finish. The most important part about this is she doesn't complain one minute about what she has to do. She doesn't complain she has to wake up at 5 am, she doesn't complain she has to stay late. This tells you she has passion for what she does for a living. I think she has the commitment to do this because growing up her family didn't have a ton of money. This is why I think my mom is the most passionate about her job. 

     What did I think the purpose of the introduction was? I think the purpose of the introduction was to set up the theme passion for your job and finding your purpose. In the beginning, we are introduced to Austin Chen. She was an ob-gyn, and we were told she had only left town once in her twelve years of working and it was for her dad that was dying. (Isay 1). That example shows how much passion Chen has for her job and it's incredible. I learned that if you have passion for what you do it'll make your life ten times better.     

     My favorite profile so far is "NBA Referee Marat Kogut, 31, Talks with His Dad, Leon Kogut, 63. I learned do what you have a passion for, not what other people want you to do in this passage. Leon says, "..."How many lawyers do you have in this country, Dad?" I said, "Maybe three, four million?" "How many doctors do we have in this country?" I said, "About six, seven million doctors?" And then you asked, "And how many NBA referees are there in this country?" I said, "I don't know." You told me, "It's about sixty. And I'm going to be one of them." (Isay 28-29). Marat did what he had a passion for in his life, instead of doing what his mom wanted him to do. His mom what him to be either a lawyer or a doctor because that's what women wanted. But Marat decided to be a NBA referee because that's what he has a passion for and his dad supported him. 

Engineer watching a blueprint. Clipart | k37352885 | Fotosearch
This picture is an example of what I want to do. I want to be the main guy that helps comes up with designs for buildings and help build them.

 

3 comments:

  1. I really find it cool that you find your mom to be such an inspiration in your life. I feel the same way with my mom, she also has her own business that she started a couple years ago and its going smooth too. Its amazing what people can do when you look at it. I hope your mom really enjoys her job if she works that much. From the looks of it it looks like she does. Hopefully her business keeps growing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to your mom working hard. My dad grew up in a similar situation as your mom, and he used to work so hard for CFA exams to get ranked up. I have never seen a person so disciplined work on things. There was a time that my dad took 9 days off of work to fix the outside of the house. He easily could have paid for it, but he fixed it himself going from early in the morning to late in the afternoon (12 hours for 9 days) like your mom. You can argue if it was discipline or craziness because I'm sure that's what the neighborhoods thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow your mom really does put a lot of work into what she does. Also the fact that she doesn't complain about working all day all the time is amazing and really hard to not complain about. That's super nice that your mom was able to create that business and it's still booming today.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.