Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Journal 5 Judson Brandenburg

 

Judson Brandenburg

English 1109 at 1:30, Mon-Wed

October 5, 2020

Journal 5

The poem that I most enjoyed reading was For Brothers Everywhere. I have always enjoyed playing basketball and watching it as well. I enjoyed how Tim Seibles was able to describe the game of basketball in such a unique way. My favorite line in this poem was , “like muscular saxophones body-poppin” (Seibles) , the way he described the game of basketball gave me visual images of what he was talking about. Basketball is similar to jazz because it is sporadic and you don’t know what is coming next.

The chapter that I most enjoyed on House of Mango Street was Smart Cookie. This chapter really stuck out to me because of the title and the way it was incorporated into the chapter. At the very end the mother said, “I was a smart cookie then”(Cisneros, 91). Her mother was able to describe herself with those two words and Cisneros was able to describe the chapter with those two words. Because of the way the title was used this is my favorite chapter. It also showed me that Esperanza’s mother wanted her to have a better life and to learn from her mothers mistakes.

Just like the two words, "Smart Cookie", this little emblem means so much more to me. As I was scrolling though the internet I saw this and it was the same logo of the car that me and my grandfather were working on together.    



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.