Timothy McGuire
English 1109 @ 1:30, M-W
10/07/2020
Journal Five by Tim McGuire
My favorite poem is “The Lanyard” by Billy Collins. I enjoy this because its about a son’s love towards his mom. In this poem the son gives his mom a lanyard and this reminds me when I made my mom a gift. In fifth grade, I made my mom a little clay bowl and she still has on her desk to this day. Collins writes, “She gave me life and milk from her breasts, and I gave her a lanyard” (Collins 17-18). This is my favorite line because the son is recognizing everything his mom does for her and he try’s to repay her with a lanyard. The line is serious and then it adds some humor with the second part of it. My favorite word in this poem is archaic which means very old or old-fashioned.
I think this most important story in the closing is Red Clowns. In this chapter Esperanza was left alone at carnival. Then she was sexually abused which is horrific and that shouldn’t happen to anyone. Esperanza writes, “Sally, make him stop. I couldn’t make them go away. I couldn’t do anything but cry. I don’t remember. It was dark. I don’t remember. I don’t remember. please don’t make me tell it all.” (Cisneros 100). This adds meaning about the horrific thing that happened to her. She couldn’t do anything about it but just let it happen and she will forever be scarred about this event. This story made me feel awe full and made me wish there was someone there to help her.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.