Thursday, October 1, 2020

Snapshot One, My Name ; Nicolas Gottshall

 Nicolas Gottshall

09/02/2020

English 1109 at 1:30, Mon. & Wed.

            

                                                                MY NAME   


            There are many reasons I can find value in my name. My liking to my name was not always the case though, especially at a young age. I have had many struggles with my name from learning to spell it, to the always entertaining substitute teacher's first try crack the puzzles of the names of each student.

            I never knew where the origin of my name came from and always wanted to try to figure it out on my own, but no one in my family's history shared any part of my name. It turned out that I had a great uncle named Thomas that had passed away at a young age due to a car accident. And because of that my mother had given my middle name to me in regards to him. As for my first name the story changes. Do to my mothers absolute random state of mind she carries with her in her mind everywhere she goes, my mom decided to name me after Nicolas Cage. To this day she doesn't know why she did it but it is the leading cause to the bulk of struggles I have had with my name. From a young age I chose to go by Nic instead of Nicolas. This is the weird part for most people. Normally Nicolas is spelled Nicholas. Nicolas Cage doesn't spell his name with an "h". With that being said Nic is not spelled with a "k". My last name comes from my dads side of the family and they originate from Germany. He always told me from a young age that Gottshall meant the guard to gods hall. Whether it was true or not I did not care to much because it gave me a feeling of pride.

            I do not plan to ever change my name. I value and love the people who created it and carried it on to ever considering changing it. My struggles with my name do not compare to other people's. So yes, Something like Nicolas will do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.