Alayna Bowman
English 1109 at 1:30, Mon- Wed
6 October 2020
Journal Five
My favorite poem we read was The Lanyard by Billy Collins. I like this poem the most because of its humor and sarcasm. This poem have a dry sense of humor. An example of that is, “ She gave me life and milk from her breasts, and I gave her a lanyard” (Collins 17-18). He says all of these great things that his mother has done for him and thinks that nothing he gets her could make them even. My favorite word used in this poem is rueful which means expressing sorrow or great regret in a humorous way.
The chapter that stuck out to me the most in The House on Mango Street is Red Clowns. This was important because it shows how hard of a life Esperanza lived and the type of people she had in her life. Her friend Sally left Esperanza all by herself at the carnival which led to a man sexually harassing her. This is significant to her life because it’s something that will always have an effect on her. This is something that is hard for someone to bounce back from. In the sentence, “He said I love you, Spanish girl, I love you, and pressed his sour mouth to mine ( Cisneros 100). This sentence just makes me feel how disgusted she was by this man.
This is the image i pictured while reading this chapter.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.