Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Journal seven- Angelo Cotugno

 Angelo Cotugno

Professor Lohre

English 1109 at 01:30, M-W

26th October, 2020

    The Person who I believe has the most passion and purpose for their job is my mother. She is a Police dispatcher with over thirty years on the job. The work she does may not be very physically demanding, but she does sometimes bring work to home. She has told me countless sad stories of her work and what firemen, EMT, and police have had to do. She has also told my stories of how a bad situation can be turned around like how her and a co workers were able to locate a driver who crashed into a lake and needed shelter before hypothermia set in. She never complained about the work she does and it brings her a great deal of fulfillment.

The introduction of the book in my mind was a way to inform the reader that your calling may not be well known or even a thought and it’s something you may not know until it comes across to you. The author was going to med school, but found out about being a radio talk show host and as we can see has moved to quotation all journalism. This is a perfect example of the intro showing the reader that your calling may not be something you ever imagined yourself doing.

My favorite of the four profiles was Herman Heyn, A street corner Astronomer who would take his telescope around and show people the stars. I would have never guessed someone would have done that professionally for 27 years he said,” I just finished my twenty-seventh year. By actual count I’ve been out on the street for 2,637 times- I keep a log (Isay 14). I don't know anyone who keeps count of how many houses they fixed, trucks they got working or how many times they have done their job. It’s incredible to me that someone with is backgrounds ended up the job he had.

( The first chapter about the street astronomer had a story about the Big Dipper and reminded me of one of my Cub Scout leaders who took us out late at night on a nite hike and showed us how to find north by connecting the ends of the Little Dipper)


1 comment:

  1. Hey Angelo, I never thought to grab that piece of information out of the introduction. That is a very valuable thing to learn. I just looked at the theme for the introduction mainly.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.