Angelo Cotugno
Mr. Lohre
English 1109 at 1:30 M,W
Sep/23/2020
House On mango Street writing exercise
The story I can mostly relate to is Those Who Don’t. The story is about Esparza calling people scared of the neighborhood stupid. Esperanza stated,They are stupid people who are lost and got here by mistake“. After revealing this she becomes scared while driving in another neighborhood. Showing her being a hypocrite. This story mostly reminds me of how when we see people make mistakes we assume that we are perfect and can never make the same mistake. People can make mistakes that seem impossible to others and them self’s.
For example when my brother crashed my can into another one leaving our driveway I thought how could someone be so stupid and negligent. He was ok and we worked out a deal with the other owner to fix her car, however my car is still not fixed and I don’t think it will. Next week I crashed my car in the same spot leaving a friend's house against his gate. I remembered what my brother did and how I thought it was stupid and never considered I could make the same mistake.
Here is a picture of my compass that I uses when I go camping. The compass was expensive and I didn’t not realize that when you pay more for a compass you get true north and not magnetic north. I went on a large orientation trip and ended up lost with a group of other guys. We were stranded for a day until one of the kids diabetic insulin pump found reception and his dad could figure out where we were. It was one of the few times in my life I was genuinely scared. It was a good life lesson. Just because you have or own something doesn’t mean its any good to you.
I completely agree with you about how sometimes we see someone make a banal mistake that we consider stupid, we think that we could never make it, but then we find ourselves making the same mistake and realizing/learning that anything can happen to anyone and we shouldn't judge them.
ReplyDeleteI agree. Humans are very big hypocrites, especially when comparing themselves to others. It is in our nature to make mistakes though, that is how we grow and learn.
ReplyDelete