Wednesday, September 23, 2020

House on Mango street writing exercise--Pietro

Pietro Pozzi  

English 1109 at 1:30 M-W 

09/23/2020 

 House on Mango street writing exercise 

The chapter I relate the most to is Papa who wakes up tired in the dark, this chapter talks about Esperanza’s grandfather death. One morning Esperanza’s dad wakes her up, he sits tenderly on her bed and tells her that grandpa passed away. Her Papa starts crying as if he just heard the new himself at that moment too. Esperanza is surprised because she has never seen her dad cry. He told Esperanza first because she is the oldestnow she will have to explain her siblings what happened Esperanza knows that papa will have to leave to go to grandpa’s funeral in Mexico. Esperanza observes how her dad is always working and she barely sees him, but today he is at home, internally in pieces, sitting on her bed and she thinks: “And I think if my own Papa died what would I do. I hold my Papa in my arms. I hold Him hold him hold him”. 


I was seven years old, me and my family were spending our summer vacation camping at Capo Rizzuto, on the sea. It was a warm afternoon; we were playing some board games on the camping table when my dad's phone started ringing. He picks up, it was one of his brothers and he walks away. After around thirty minutes he comes backsits on the table and looks at us and tells us that grandpa passed away. His eyes were full of tears, even if he was trying to make them disappear as much as he couldLike Esperanza, I have never seen my father cry before too. As a seven-year-old boy I thought of my father like superman that could conquer anything that would come in his wayThe day after we packed our baggage and went back home to stay with the rest of our family. 

 

This is my grandfather’s pen, he always kept it in his office; my grandma gave it to me as a gift at my confirmation. I would never sell it or trade this object for anything because this pen reminds me of all the fun and times we spent together. 

3 comments:

  1. Hello, Pietro. I also could relate to this chapter. My grandma passed away when I was eight years old. It was one of the first times I saw my father crying. Then we just spent time as a family and mourn our loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Pietro, I related to this chapter too, when my grandpa passed away, it was the first time I saw my father cry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pietro, overall your writing was very good. I remembered when I used to wake up tired in the dark during high school when I had to take the bus at 7:15. Although your piece is headed in a different direction from what I'm saying, in that first sentence I know how "Papa" feels. I can relate to that setting.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.