Wednesday, September 23, 2020

TheHouseOnMangoStreetResponse.Cortney

    In The House On Mango Street the chapter called Born Bad I can relate to a lot especially right now. Esperanza is talking about her aunt who is sick. It’s not clear exactly what is wrong with Esperanza’s aunt but she said something is wrong with her spine and she’s blind. Esperanza talks about not realizing how sick her aunt was until one day she tried to show her aunt a colorful picture in their favorite book and she couldn’t see it. It also seems that Esperanza and her aunt are pretty close. The day her aunt died she told Esperanza “You must keep writing. It will keep you free,” (pg 61). 

     This chapter relates to my life right now. My sister was recently diagnosed with ovarian cancer. She has had two surgeries to remove a 25 pound soccer ball size mass and then what cancer is attracted to. My sister is currently going through chemo. It’s hard to believe how sick she actually is and it’s hard because I don’t live at home so I can’t see her everyday. When my sister was first diagnosed I got her and I matching bracelets. It might just be a bracelet to everyone else but to my sister and I it’s a lot more than just a bracelet. We haven’t always been close but we have gone extremely close as we have gotten older. 



4 comments:

  1. Hey Cortney, I relate to you and the chapter with not realizing how sick someone is, until seeing it for myself. My Aunt was diagnosed with breast cancer and when I went to Florida to go see here, I saw how frail and sick she was from her treatments and cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cortney, My grandfather is suffering from sever Dementia and its a very hard thing to deal with. Before I thought he was just getting slower as he got older, but the symptoms progressed to a point where he need someone by him to move him and feed him all day long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is becoming more relevant in my life because my grandparents on both sides are getting pretty old now. I'm starting to see them struggle to do a lot things that we used to do when we were all younger.I hope your sister gets well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Cortney, I know that feeling of being away from someone you loved. My mother had thyroid cancer and had chemo also and I wasn't allowed around her for months as a little kid. My mom gave me a bracelet also which I have out grown but it said "Mother and Daughter through it all" so I understand how its not just a bracelet but has meaning.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.