Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Journal Two Alayna

 Journal Two 

 

 

 


My name is Alayna Bowman. I am a freshman here and I am majoring in early childhood education. If I’m not in school, I am either working, hanging out with friends or watching Netflix. A fun fact about me is that I like to travel and I just got back from a trip to the Grand Canyon. 

                         

            In the reading The House on Mango Street, the theme that stood out to me the most so far was self definition. Esperanza is struggling with finding out who she is. Her family is constantly moving and she has no friends her age. This is important because they just moved into a new house which may help her grow and meet new people her age. In my own experience, I have seen this theme throughout my life, just in different ways. I have only moved once when I was young but I can relate to it by going to new schools for the first time and not knowing anybody or starting new jobs and not knowing anyone. One of my favorite passages from the writing is “It’s small and red with tight steps in front and windows so small you’d think they were holding their breath.” I like this sentence because it uses personification and it really helps you get a mental image of what she is describing. 

1 comment:

  1. Alayna, I'm looking forward to hearing more about the Grand Canyon, as I've always wanted to go there but have never made it. Congratulations for making that big trip. Travel seems like even more of a blessing than ever now because of Covid and the lock downs we have been through.

    I really like how you say Esperanza is on a quest to figure out who she is. This is a challenge for all of us, but for young people who are thrown into new environments, the pressures to conform and adapt are really significant. I think you will find that theme is tested and put to the test over and over again as we continue to read this fine, short, creative novel.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.