Isaac Swert
Professor Lohre
English 1109 at 01:30, T-Th
06th October, 2020
Journal Five -Poetry and Cisneros- By Isaac Swert
Homage, my favorite word in the poem, is defined as “A special honor or respect shown publicly”. homage to my hips by Lucille Clifton was my favorite poem out of the four we read because she is publicly honoring a part of her body that she thinks is perfect. In today's society, the media alters our mind of how we think we should look and this causes so many issues, like self consciousness. My favorite line in this poem was “these hips have never been enslaved” because this created an image of how strong and durable her hips are. Her confidence in her body was also revealed by that quote and that is a confidence we all strive to know and cherish.
Out of the chapters we read to close The House On Mango Street, my favorite was Bums in the Attic. This chapter was the most meaningful because Esperanza says after she gets away from Mango Street that she will help the homeless or less fortunate. She specifically says “One day I’ll own my own house, but I won’t forget who I am or where I came from. Passing bums will ask, Can I come in? I’ll offer them the attic, ask them to stay, because I know how it is to be without a house”(Cisneros 87). This speaks volumes about her character and how kind she is because she doesn’t forget the way she felt and she doesn’t want others to feel the same.
![]() |
| I chose to add an image of an Oscar because it is one of the highest public honors an actress or actor can receive. |

I liked “A special honor or respect shown publicly” poem too. I think the sentence you chose is super important, it shows how strong her hips are, but I also think that her hips are free hips that can do whatever she wants them to do.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you in the first paragraph. Too many people today think there body’s aren’t good enough because they don’t look like “models”. In this poem to me she has a lot of confidence in her body. She doesn’t care what other people think about her body, and I think people need more confidence in there body like she does.
ReplyDelete