Monday, October 5, 2020

Journal Four by Tim McGuire

Tim McGuire
English 1109 @ 1:30, M-W
10/05/2020
Journal Four - Tim McGuire
     There are many themes that we learned in this chapter. The most important theme in this chapter to me is mistreated. It all started when Clarett called out Geiger about not letting him go to the funeral. Clarett called him out which made Geiger look like a bad person. So, after the national championship Geiger wanted to try and start some type of controversy with Clarett. Geiger had the perfect opportunity when Clarett had to do a police report because cd’s were stolen from a car, he burrowed (Clarett 153). So, NCAA opened up the investigation saying it was almost 12-thousand dollars and asking how he got the money to buy them (Clarett 154). Clarett writes, “When my attorney and Jim Brown said this was bullshit, that’s what they were referring to. This was some bullshit. And this is where it was obviously personal. Geiger called for the investigation. He called the NCAA about this. He gave me up” (Clarett 155). Overall Geiger used and mistreated Clarett as a human. Geiger only wanted him to win the national championship so he looks good for doing it, he didn’t care for him as a normal person.
     
     The person that had the most influence on me was my cousin Kevin. I looked up to him as a big brother to me. He was in High School still while I was in 6th grade. He played football and wrestled. That’s what made me start playing football because I wanted to be just like him. Even to this day I still look up to him as a role model. He is great husband and dad, and one day I want to be just like him with my own family.

4 comments:

  1. I find it great that you have someone so inspirational in you're family. I feel like for many of us we have people in our lives that inspire us to do what they do. It's very interesting that you value the fact that he is a good husband and a dad. This shows that you value that and probably strive for those things. Do you get to see your cousin often? I feel like if you want to strive for those things seeing him would help you reach those goals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with this chapter being based on mistreatment. I feel Clarett has been mistreated his whole schooling career as well, not only just sports. Even it starting in high school. Teachers would just give him the grades to make sure he played without giving him the opportunity to learn in academics which, in my opinion is cheating him an education

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Tim, I like how you formatted the first response. It is very organized and easy to read. I look up to my cousin as well, and he used to be very influential to me. Over the years, I did not see him as often as one of my friends, which prompted me to be more influenced by my friend. Although you have a great connection with your cousin, what keeps him as your most influential person with that big of an age gap?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also agree with you that he was mistreated in this chapter. It was not fair how Andy Geiger treated him during that time. I also looked up to one of my cousins and he encouraged me to play football as well. What position did you play?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.