In chapter 10 of One and Done, Maurice Clarett was getting used big time. It was a repeating theme for this entire chapter. Almost every paragraph had something to do with the university using not only his skill but other players skills just for money. “It’s important to realize though that the whole point is that how raw I was is what made me play better or made me who I am and that’s the issue for big billion dollar universities getting paid big money by exploiting kids from the streets who they don’t know how to handle outside of the athletic sphere” (Clarett 152). Then he even takes it to another level by stating, “Called Andy Geiger a slave master because he was acting like he owned my ass and could whip me himself or have me whipped by the NCAA” (Clarett 156). Comparing anything to slavery is a big deal but is easily understood because we all learned it in history. So, when he uses this comparison we can easily imagine the hardship of this situation he was going through.
After moving to Olentangy from Worthington, I lost a lot of friends and became a huge introvert. I never talked to anyone and kept to myself 24/7. I was treated unfair by all Olentangy staff. Never talked in class because of this and didn’t participate in any group activities, I just made it solo work. One day I met my study hall teacher, and she was like my school mom. She took care of me and showed me what it’s suppose to be like to be treated the right way. Even graduated she still calls and texts me to make sure I’m doing ok. She changed who I am and kept me out of trouble big time. She kept my head on the right path even when I was going through really bad rough patches. I will be forever grateful that she still treats me like her own daughter even though I don’t see her everyday.
Hey Stephanie, I really understand and relate to you not having a lot of friends and becoming an introvert after moving schools. I pretty much ended up being like this when I was in middle school. I had to switch schools and this was became a hard three years of my life, I became attached to one my teachers, and acted like a mother to me and looked out for me. She let me be myself in her class.
ReplyDelete