Monday, October 26, 2020

Journal Number 7 by Isaac Swert

 Isaac Swert

Professor Lohre

English 1109 at 01:30, T-Th

26th October, 2020

Calling Connections

My mom is the person I know who has the most passion for their job. She is a beauticianist in technical terms. A beauticianist is the fancy way of saying a hairstylist, or it is in her words. She has been cutting hair for over 20 years and she hasn't regretted it once. She has cut hair days after a surgery or car accident or even until the last minute before she had to shut down for quarantine. In highschool she knew college was not the life for her, so she went to a careers center to learn this trade. That is one reason she chose that career, but the other was her grandma who was also a beauticianist. My great grandma was a person my mom looked up to and she definitely inspired her career choice. In a way following in my great grandma's footsteps was the way my mom honored her for all that she did for my mom.

I think the purpose of the introduction was to introduce what inspired him to write this book. This ties into how the interviews we read in the first thirty pages because the people talk about what inspired them for their jobs. In a way the introduction was almost like the first interview. Also from the introduction we learn of a theme of work that will be throughout the text.

My favorite profile was the Street-Corner Astronomer.  This was by far my favorite because it inspired me to think that I could turn something I truly love into a career like Herman Heyn did. I think the main factor was his teacher who introduced him to a subject he loved by challenging the class to find the Big Dipper and as Herman said on page one,“ So I went out and found it that night and thought it was totally beautiful. I got hooked on astronomy from that very moment.. This allowed him to make a hobby out of stargazing and learning astronomy and it eventually led him to showing people the stars at night and teaching them.

I added this picture to pay tribute to my favorite story and to serve as a reminder that we can turn our passions into our careers.


3 comments:

  1. I think it is pretty cool that your mom found her calling through a career center. I have an impression that a decent chunk of people go to college because their parents want them to. I understand that it is good to go if you don't have a backup plan, but maybe the risk is worth it to some people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's amazing that your mom knew what she wanted to do and was inspired by her own mom. It's pretty cool that she still loves her job after doing it for years. It is also shown that she loves her job a lot because she went back after having surgery. I know I couldn't do that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also think that the first story is my favorite so far. I think that when see look for our dream job we usually think of a previously easing thing people get paid to do. I think we should think like Herman Heyn and try to find what makes our self happiest.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.