Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Journal six Cortney shearer

 Journal six

     In the book One And Done by Maurice Clarett and Bob Eckhart there are many things you can take away from this book. One of the things I took away from this book was that changing your mindset is the best thing you can do. Clarett was constantly going back and forth between being in the streets or football. Only Clarett himself could get himself out of that cycle. If he wasn’t hustling he was playing football and partying. Yes it took Clarett to be put in prison and becoming a father for him to change his mindset but it was ultimately up to him. Clarett could have easily just gone to prison and completely lost himself. Which from how he describes so of the other people in there that might have been the easier option. It’s easy to lose yourself when you’re alone. Clarett not only wanted to change for himself but his daughter and Ashely. Your mindset controls your whole day, your whole life. There’s really bitter and negative people out there who have a poor me attitude. If you live and think like that you’re going to have a awful life. If you work hard for what you have and push yourself to be better all the time your life will be better. 

     Another takeaway I got was not everyone has your best interest. This was very apparent in this book. Clarett had basically won the championship for OSU and he didn’t get much respect in return. One of Clarett friends died because he was shot. Clarett was out of state and asked if he could go back for his funeral even though he had commitments already. They just blew him off and lied about why he couldn’t go. They told Clarett they lost the papers. He knew it was because his friends death was gang related and that if it was some kid with cancer he would be flown out that same day with cameras. OSU just didn’t want to be associated with it at all. Clarett said “If they wanted me to be at the funeral they could have made it happen.” (Clarett 131}. 

     I really enjoyed the zoom with Clarett I got a lot out of it and found it very inspirational. One thing that Maurice Clarett said that really stuck out to me was when he was talking about your mindset. Clarett said for example when your putting off getting up or doing homework you already lost. You lost before you even tried. That’s something I didn’t know I needed to hear but it stuck with me. I even talk to my roommate about it because we both have been guilty of putting things off. We both have been wanting to work out but we aren’t ever both motivated. When both of us aren’t motivated it doesn’t happen. We just say oh we’ll do it tomorrow but then we never do. Both my roommate and I have already lost to our selves before we even tried. 

1 comment:

  1. I like that takeaway, "not everyone has your best interest." This taught me to realize you can please everyone, and not to expect people to think like you. Although this can be unfair, so is life. Clarett shares with us a backstabbing he received to something he put everything into; to me, he infers that sometime in our lives we will too.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.