Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Journal Six

 

Judson Brandenburg

English 1109 at 1:30, Mon-Wed

October 20, 2020

Journal Six

           One key takeaway that I got from the book One And Done was how determined Maurice Clarett was. He worked extremely hard at everything he did, whether that was good or bad, he always put forth his full effort. He didn’t have a father to support him so he had to look take care of himself at a young age. Because of this he knew things wouldn’t just be handed to him. Football was his way out and he knew it so he put himself in the best position possible to succeed.

            Another key takeaway that I got from this book was perseverance. No matter what happened or what Maurice Clarett came in contact with, he was able to push through. Even after everything that he went through he still has a positive look on life and doesn’t let what he did in the past define him. He got out of prison and became a new man. He was able to spend his time in prison to get his life back together. Because of his personality he is able to talk about his past because he wants others to learn from it which is admirable.

            One main thing that I pulled away from the interview with Maurice Clarett and Bob Eckhart was that he was the same person in the book. He still gets up early every day and writes out his goals before they happen. He seemed genuine in everything he was saying which was refreshing. He gave good advice and is definitely someone that everyone can learn from. It was encouraging to hear him talk about his life outside of football, he says, “I knew I could make it on the outside with my brain and not my body”(Clarett,246).


This photo reminds me no matter how hard things get to keep pressing on and persevere. Its the hard times in life that shape us as people. Keep pushing forward and it will help build character.

3 comments:

  1. I really liked your first takeaway. I didn’t even think about him knowing he had to work really hard because he knew he wouldn’t just get things handed to him. That was definitely shown in the book a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. He seemed to be a really genuine guy and was very sweet. Nothing like how he described himself in the book which shows that he really grew as a person over time

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.