Monday, October 5, 2020

Journel 4

 

Zach Sudal

English 1109 at 1:30, Mon-Wed

October 5, 2019


Journal Four

In chapter ten in One and Done, I thought that the most important themes in the chapter, were issues with race, class, and exploitation. Clarett goes into detail about how he thought it may have been a race and class thing when he wanted to fly home to attend his friends funeral. He thought to himself how it would have been a different situation if he flew home for a different cause, like visiting a fan in the hospital. Also, Clarett goes into how OSU exploits him. After he essentially wins them a championship, he gets backlash from Jim Brown after calling him a liar. Although this is a controversial and bold claim, Clarett explains, "This was more like a big slap in the face to me. This is when Jim Brown was like screw you too and called Andy Geiger a slave master because he was acting like he owned my ass and could whip me himself or have me whipped by the NCAA." (Clarett, 156.) Clarett tells us how easy it is for an organization to use someone for their benefit, and then get ride of them the next day due to any complications with them and the media. I thought the writing was at best in that area too. The quotes were bold, which emphasized his thoughts to us as the reader. 

One specific person who had substantial influence on me at this age was one of my friends I met through Cross Country my senior year. I think I was influenced by this person so strongly was because how disciplined and good willed he is. I have never met a more strong personality, good demeanor person in my age group to date, and that was part of why he was so influential to me. This affected my habits by being more disciplined in my daily life with working out, and eating right. We used to lift together before he moved, and I have picked up the pace for my passion of lifting. I have also been more aware of people and life. This guy was super social and fun to be around, and I felt like it is important to be the best version of yourself, especially now.


3 comments:

  1. Hey Zach, didn't Clarett get backlash from Andy Geiger and not Jim Brown? I mean from my understanding, I thought Jim Brown was on the side of Clarett because as stated in the quote you used, "This is when Jim Brown was like screw you too and called Andy Geiger a slave master because he was acting like he owned my ass and could whip me himself or have me whipped by the NCAA." (Clarett, 156.)", it says Jim Brown is saying screw you to Andy Geiger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a good theme to pick out of the chapter, and the Clarett word use made what he thought of NCAA and Jim Brown very clear. I'm sorry to hear that someone with that big of an impact on your life had move away. Ive been on the other side of that. I had had to move from ones helped me be who I am so,I can understand what the both of you went through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could relate to the friend you met your senior year. My sophomore year of cross country one of the captains that year was really similar to your friend. I looked up to him for his behaviors too.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.